Snap TrapsThis is one of the most commonly used and effective mouse traps. It usually consists of a wooden (in some cases plastic) base, supplied with a metal mechanism loaded with a spring which is snapping down by the mouse activity. It is either trap it or kill. The lure is placed on the mechanism which reacts to the pressure change. It is activated when mouse tries to take a lure.
#1 Snap Trap: Snap-E
This trap includes steel elements and durable polystyrene, so they can be used for decades. Baiting these mouse traps is easy due to a special baiting cup. Snap-E products are designed in a way that prevents the appearance of odors and stains, typical for common wooden mouse traps.
The strike bar and the tripping paddle are large in sizes and guarantee trapping rodents from all sides. Besides, these mouse traps are easy and safe to clean and dispose, so you will not have to touch the mouse.
Trapping and killing mice in this kind of traps is likely to leave blood spots in the trap. One should also think about placing this trap beyond pets' and children's reach to avoid injuries. However, this is true about all kinds of traps.
- Reliable due to the use of strong materials
- Stainless and odor-free
- A preformed baiting cup
- Sanitary and easily disposable
- Not humane, mice can be killed with a lot of blood
- May be dangerous for pets and children
Electronic TrapsThis is a modern type of traps, which is very popular and easy to use. It entices a mouse and kills it immediately with an electric shock.
#1 Electronic Trap: Rat Zapper Classic
One of the best electronic mouse traps, characterized by simple baiting and effective trapping. This product does not use poison or any other harmful substances, killing rodents in a humane and environmentally-friendly manner with the help of electricity.
All you must do to dispose the trapped rodent from Rat Zapper Classic is to tip the product and let the mouse or rat fall out. While doing so, you don’t even have to look at the victim.
This electronic mouse trap is widely used both in private households and in business or commercial areas.
Killing mice is efficient due to the use of anticoagulant block and diphacinone ingredients. The product set includes a resealable pail.
The trap’s red light indicator signals the user that a mouse or rat has been caught.
- The trap is easy to use: all you need to do is to insert batteries, place the bait and switch it on
- Rat Zapper Classic humanely kills rodents with an electric shock, which is strong, quick, and deadly
- To dispose a mouse, one does not have to touch or look at it
- Safe and clean. The mouse trap does not contain poisons or chemicals and leaves no blood stains (however, it still has to be placed away from pets and children)
- Rather costly in comparison with other traps
- Requires changing batteries, since the product is not equipped with an AC adapter
Glue trapsThis is the simplest type of traps, which don’t have any mechanical or moving parts. It sticks a mouse on cardboard or plastic board and doesn’t let it to escape. It is the most arguable type of traps among people and considered to be the most cruel mouse trap available. This is because they are not usually killing a mouse, and if you leave them for a long time mouse will die just from hunger.
#1 Glue Trap: Catchmaster Peanut Butter Scented Mouse Glue Board
Glue traps are not poisonous; they are placed in a flat position and attract rodents due to their strong peanut butter scent. Catchmaster glue boards look like a sticky sheet which is equally effective for catching mice and rats. Catchmaster products are an excellent choice for restaurants and cafes, office buildings and homes.
This mouse trap contains no harmful ingredients, such as pesticides, rodenticides, or poisons. Instead, Catchmaster Glue Boards capture mice with the help of adhesive glue. These sticky glue boards have an appealing peanut butter fragrance that mice cannot resist.
Catchmaster glue traps are not toxic, have a long shelf life and retain their efficiency for a year. According to a popular opinion, these are the best sticky traps for rodents.
Accidental trapping of pets and other animals is not excluded, but the unexpected catch can be released from the glue board painlessly, if you apply household vegetable oil.
- Mouse glue boards are set up easily
- They do not cause any physical damage to rodents, so no blood
- Such traps are safe for children and pets
- May be not effective for big rodents since they can escape
- Can be used only once
Live-Catch TrapsA lot of mouse traps types allow you to catch a mouse without killing or doing harm to it. These traps allow you to set it free into the wild. These traps are usually similar to the ones used to catch larger mammals. These are cages with doors which are activated by triggers. They lock mouse inside making it caught alive.
#1 Live-Catch Trap: Havahart X-Small
This trap is ideal for catching mice, rats, chipmunks, weasels, and squirrels, when they interfere with people’s life and cause damage to their property. Havahart X-small traps are made of sturdy wire mesh reinforced with steel and can be used for years.
Designed by expert trappers, these rat traps are recommended by animal control officers. Indeed, it is difficult to imagine a better live mouse trap.
This mouse trap has smooth internal edges, so you will not get injured while disposing rodents or setting the trap in an appropriate place. To reduce the chance of stealing baits to a minimum, manufacturers have designed a smaller opening of the mesh.
- Solid structure: stainless wire mesh reinforced with steel
- This trap is humane, since mice are trapped rather than killed
- Escaping and bait stealing are highly unlikely
- Quick trapping due to a triggered gravity action door
- Special door and handle design to protect users
- Not very sensitive trap door
- Lack of instructions for the user
Tips to trap a mouseThe most important thing when you are trying to catch a mouse is the location of your mouse trap. Without a proper location, the “hunt” won’t be effective. The trap should be placed where mice are nesting or running.
The next thing you should consider is a number of traps you need to place. The more traps you place the more effective they will be. Place traps within two-three feet interval.
Place two mouse traps together with a one inch space between them. This is an effective practice for the snap and glue traps, and by doing so you will be able to catch a mouse which is trying to over jump your traps.
Use aggressive trapping approach. Place as many traps as you can the first night. Usually, during the first night, more mice are get caught.
As for the bait, you need a small amount to lure a mouse. Use bait with high protein level, for example, peanut butter. If mice are building their nest, they can be also attracted by cotton, string and other things they use like building materials.
And of course, always monitor mouse activity and place traps until the activity will stop.
Read more: How To Set A Mouse Trap
Advantages Of Mouse TrapsThese are few reasons why mouse traps are more preferable as compared to poisons:
- Mouse traps contain no chemical or hazardous substances
- The results are quick to come and more effective
- Using no rodenticides means mice will not die in inaccessible areas and produce an unpleasant smell in the house
- Removing killed mice is very simple
How To Choose A Mouse TrapThink of the important tips given below before purchasing a mouse trap for your home. Following these instructions, you will never regret buying an ineffective mouse trap.
- Efficiency - is the mouse trap efficient in catching rodents? Does it fail when trapping mice?
- Durability - how long will the mouse trap keep working without any problems or failures? If you choose an unreliable but fairly cheap mouse trap, you will have to buy more traps very soon.
- Cleaning - how difficult is to clean and dispose the trapped rodent?
- Usability - is it easy to use, does a user manual or an instruction guide come together with the mouse trap?
- Safety - how safe is it to use? Safety is an issue with both snap traps and electronic ones - you do not want to suffer snapped fingers or electric shock. Is the product provided with any safety mechanism?